Friday, October 23, 2009

book love



I am a bigtime re-reader - always coming back to some old faithfuls like my all-time favorite re-read treat, Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I'll get completely immersed in Pride and Prejudice every few months too, ignoring laundry and dishes and life as if I've never read it before. And I've been known to take a little trip to Hogwarts once in a while as well. Author Meg Cabot recently wrote in the Wall Street Journal about her love for reading and re-reading the wonderful Betsy-Tacy series of books by Maud Hart Lovelace. (I re-read these a lot when I was younger and remember first reading Betsy-Tacy at summer camp after it arrived in a care package from my mom right when I was feeling a little homesick. She wrote me the sweetest, funniest note on the inside of the paperback cover, and between the note and the book, I forgot all about any lingering homesickness.)

In the WSJ article, Cabot sums up the best part of the Betsy-Tacy books perfectly: "What's always made Betsy seem so real is that when she makes a mistake and falls down, she gets right back up." Although the books are set in the early 20th century, it's still a really timeless message. Definitely re-read worthy, even for semi-grown-ups. Photo: WSJ

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
All original work and photos are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.